This information will stroll you thru making a bootable installer for macOS Monterey on a USB flash drive for the aim of putting in Monterey on a hackintosh appropriate laptop.
Half 1: Making a Monterey USB Installer
To create a bootable macOS installer that works on a PC desktop or laptop computer we’ll want:
- Copy of macOS Monterey
- 16GB USB Flash Drive (Monterey takes up 13GB of disk area)
- Software program to create a bootable copy of macOS Monterey
Step 1: Downloading macOS Monterey
On Mac? Best option to Monterey is from the Mac App Retailer
On Home windows/Linux? Obtain macOS Monterey on Home windows or Linux (coming quickly)
Step 2: Formatting the USB Drive
So as to create a bootable macOS installer that works on PC the USB flash drive have to be formatted as Mac OS Prolonged (Journaled) which provides a second hidden EFI partition the place the hackintosh bootloader is saved.
- Insert a USB Flash Drive
- Open Disk Utility
- Click on View from the highest silver menu bar
- Choose Present All Gadgets
- Choose your Flash Drive on the left column below Exterior
- Click on Erase
- Set the next settings:
- Identify: Hackintosher
- Format: Mac OS Prolonged (Journaled)
- Scheme: GUID Partition Map
- Click on Erase (Should you get an error use First Support in Disk Utility first)
- Click on Executed upon end
Step 3: Transferring the Monterey Installer
Afterwards the the Monterey Installer downloaded from the Mac App Retailer is able to be positioned on the USB drive utilizing Terminal.
- Confirm Set up macOS Monterey is within the /Functions folder
- Open Terminal by way of highlight or launchpad
- Paste the next into Terminal coming into your password if prompted:
sudo /Functions/Set up macOS Monterey.app/Contents/Sources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Hackintosher /Functions/Set up macOS Monterey.app --nointeraction
sudo /Functions/Set up macOS Monterey Beta.app/Contents/Sources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Hackintosher /Functions/Set up macOS Monterey Beta.app --nointeraction
- Choose OK when you get the immediate “Terminal” want to entry recordsdata on a detachable quantity.
- Don’t shut Terminal, the installer will switch over slowly and might take awhile particularly if you’re utilizing USB 2 bus speeds
Half 2: Configuring EFI Partition for a Monterey Hackintosh
We’ll now mount the hidden EFI Partition created when the flash drive was formatted.
Mount EFI Partition
- Obtain OpenCore Configurator
- Open OpenCore Configurator
- Choose Mount EFI below TOOLS
- Click on Mount Partition for Set up macOS….
- Click on Open Partition (That is the place the EFI Folder will go)
Create or Obtain a EFI Folder
An EFI folder may be created with both Clover or OpenCore.
Should you’re updating a hackintosh from an earlier model of macOS the identical EFI folder that labored earlier than could not work in Monterey with out adjustments for compatibility.